For some bizarre and inexplicable reason, I really adore children's place settings. I love the concept of baby china {that is NOT a hint, Mr. Original}, and the fact that many of us, if we're lucky, wind up reclaiming our baby china because it's been saved for us. I distinctly remember mine -- and I'm sure my mother has it tucked away in the breakfront in the dining room: It was white, I think, with a thin lavender border; teeny tiny gray mice, dressed up in the cutest of costumes and clothes, danced across the surface of the plate, bowl, and mug. {Who made it, Mom? These lovely readers of mine will likely want to know.} And, I even remember my brother's M.A. Hadley sailboat set. I just found this vintage set from Mouse Trap Vintage, and I love how sturdy it looks, as well as the simple combination of red and white.

I'm sure there are loads of cute place settings made these days {and not just in melamine}, but I find myself so thoroughly drawn to vintage in this case -- either my own set {recently, I realized things from my childhood are now called vintage}, or an awesome thrift shop find -- because good juju seems particularly important when it comes to creating a childhood for a little one.

I'm sure there are loads of cute place settings made these days {and not just in melamine}, but I find myself so thoroughly drawn to vintage in this case -- either my own set {recently, I realized things from my childhood are now called vintage}, or an awesome thrift shop find -- because good juju seems particularly important when it comes to creating a childhood for a little one.
This set is so sweet. My favorite childhood bowl was just broken on accident last summer, and I so wish I had it! It was a milk glass short and fat cylinder bowl with a little green dinosaur on it. Fantastic. I love the fairy tale theme you have going!
ReplyDeleteOh, I love the colors and pattern on this set you found! And I love that the plate is sectioned. My husband's mom saved his Peter Rabbit set, although it's not china. My poor kiddos eat off of plastic ware... It is sectioned though...
ReplyDeleteLove that set! I had a darling and delicate Peter Rabbit china set. It's all boxed up and saved for me.
ReplyDeleteI love children's place settings too. I'm looking for a cute pink tea set for a friend actually and have seen so many other great things on my hunt.
ReplyDeleteBrittany: You ought to scour Etsy and eBay, and see if you can replace it! Though, I suppose it's your particular bowl that had sentimental value ... still, maybe there's one out there, looking for a good home :)
ReplyDeleteErin: I love the Peter Rabbit ones! And yes, I think most kids eat off of plastic ware nowadays ... porcelain and ceramic sets really aren't made much, are they? Too bad!
Rachel: Beatrix Potter was a genius with that character, huh? I'm still just as smitten with Peter Rabbit now as I was in childhood.
Leigh: Tea sets are definitely up there on my list of sweet children's things. I adore play kitchen sets, and especially love tin pieces -- I saw a child's tin compote dish the other day, a red and white check pattern. Too cute!
It was a child's set from Conran's...when Terence Conran had stores in the US (your UK readers will be very familiar). The pattern was called 'Nice Mice.' Yes, it's packed away nicely...
ReplyDeleteThe Night Url