Monday, June 15, 2009

Savings

Most of you probably know that I'm trying to save money, now more than ever. I slip up sometimes {see tin and doily pictured above}, but largely stay focused on eliminating unnecessary expenses. I'm even keeping a thorough record of my finances in a little millimeter/milligram booklet I've had for a long time, but never used. {Don't click that link unless you want to be seriously tempted to spend some cash.}

Being this rigid about what I'm earning and spending is oddly great. I feel a lot less anxious when I enter a store because I walk in knowing I cannot and will not buy anything. I feel less guilty about staying home in my cupboard all day when I feel like it; not driving means I'm not using gas and also not finding my way to my favorite antique stores and card shops. Instead, I'm cooking, reading, getting laundry done before it becomes an insurmountable task, et cetera.

Today, I counted change. I'm betting that sounds pitiful. Really, I just wanted to see what I had lying around. Mr. Original always drops his loose change into my stained glass bowl to lighten his pockets. When my wallet gets heavy with coins, I empty it there, too. Fifteen dollars, turns out. That's not a lot, but it's not nothing. It's a few meals. More than half a tank of gas. A movie and popcorn.

Yet, it's not burning a hole in my pocket. I think I'll let it stay there for a while ...


P.S. This is my 200th post! I've got some big ideas for the coming months, so stay tuned.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats for your 200th post! (I haven't got even to the 50th :)) ). And especially for your efforts to spend less. I must say that this is a rare attitude in a world where people actually live to have more things. I admire the fact that you love pretty things but you don't feel the need to have them all. Hah, and this takes me to a "conflict" that I've been having with my mom since childhood. Whenever we go shopping together and I see something pretty and I tell her just how pretty that is, not having any intention to buy it, she always says: "We don't have the money." :)) I wonder how she got that suspicious...:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for 200! I eagerly await the next 200.

    You know, I found my spending freeze totally liberating. It felt good to say no and mean it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love saving money and watching my bank account get enough money in it to go on another vacation. I'd rather live without new things and travel the world instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dia: How funny. Maybe your mother is saying it more to remind herself than to remind you :) I like the idea of collecting visuals that inspire me. Somehow, that scratches the itch.

    P: Thanks, girl! You're right: no means no.

    Kittylou: Indeed! Too bad I'm not saving for a trip anywhere ... just for rent next month! Ha ha. There's a vacation on my horizon one day ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting The Museum Cupboard.