Thursday, August 13, 2009

Hard To Get

Oh! While thrifting this afternoon, I found a painting that I absolutely adore!

I didn't buy it. It was one hundred sixty-five dollars. Which is nothing for a piece of art ... but quite a lot of something for a gal with two jobs as it is. But, I'm really itching to build an entire room around it -- I liked the colors and the mood that much.

Back when I lived in Baltimore, a wool Pakistani rug stole my heart. It was a lot of money for me. I bought it anyway, and sat on it every night, eating nothing but cheapo soup. That rug cozies the floor of my current cupboard ... and I still love it and have used it as the central color story here.

What I'm saying is this: It's those big-ticket items that get me every time. I'm okay passing up most of the smaller things I admire in shops, but it's the one-of-a-kind, loftier-priced items that I see as investments ... in my personal style, in my future cupboard, in my contentedness with my home ... and the price tag doesn't seem to matter as much because I figure I'll do what I need to do to get by.

So, friends, do I venture back out and buy the piece? Or, do I save the one-sixty-five for a couple pieces of fall clothing I've been eyeing?

9 comments:

  1. Buy the picture! In five years time you won't remember the clothes you bought or the cheap soup you had to live on - but you will still have the picture.
    That's the way I always justify these things to myself anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, dear. Obviously I can't condone sending yourself into debt over something, but I have to say if there is any way you can swing it - go for it! If you love it and you don't buy it, you'll regret it for years. I promise you won't regret the clothes you didn't buy for nearly as long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ditto. been there. it sounds like (if soup eating was involved) you're fairly responsible - even if it's living on a narrow cash budget. if it's something you really *really* love, go back for it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooh, tell me more....and we need to go to the jolly roger soon. also, as an art historian, i am obligated to vote for the painting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. a picture is worth a thousand fall outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm the same way ... if you love the artwork i say get it! you'll have it for a long, long time ... fall clothes will come and go. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buy it on a credit card, and then make an appeal to your mommins, who could probably relate to the strong aesthetic reaction you're having...and help you out with it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh listen, if you're like me you'll blow that much on cheapish clothes on sale/slightly the wrong size thinking "oh, in 6 months I'll fit this" so i reckon you should get the painting.

    go for the eternal, go for art, just think of your biographers in 50 years' time, they won't care about your autumn outfits from daggy 2009, they'll want to photgraph you in front of that amazing piece of art you bought way back then...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katie, Rachel, Huebscher, Jessica, Memory, and Suann: You're all so right. What good friends/readers I have to remind me of what we all know is true.

    Aka/The Night Url: Good call! I ought to do that ... ;)

    Screamish: You're hilarious and so right. Everything I do should be done in the name of an interesting biography ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting The Museum Cupboard.